Built shortly after the Civil War, Orchard Lawn was home for three generations of the Gundry family. Designed by noted architect S.V. Shipman, the stately house and its surrounding grounds reflect the classic, pastoral image of the Italianate style.
In 1936, the last Gundry in Mineral Point passed away; unable to sell the property, or even to give it away, the heirs hired a wrecking contractor. The barn and carriage house fell, but before the house could be demolished, eleven Mineral Point residents collected $800, formed the Mineral Point Historical Society, and bought out the demolition contract.
A remarkable survivor, Orchard Lawn has escaped the fate of many grand old homes whose interiors have been divided into apartments or remuddled beyond recognition. Additionally, nine of the original eleven acres of lawns, gardens, and trees still surround the house, including surviving specimens planted by the Gundrys in the 1860s.
Thanks to the support of the Jeffris Family Foundation, the generosity of MPHS members and Gundry family members, and the hard work of many for whom Orchard Lawn is more than just an old house, the Mineral Point Historical Society is about to start the second phase of an extensive restoration of the building and the grounds.
The house is available for tours during the summer months or by appointment.
Check back soon for links to more information about The History of Orchard Lawn, The Gundry Family, The Orchard Lawn Restoration, and The Founders.
Orchard Lawn is available for private parties and weddings.
Click here for more details about private events at Orchard Lawn.
Mineral Point Historical Society • PO Box 188 • Mineral Point, WI 53565 608.558.1937